This role gives you the opportunity to work in a leading global medical device company, using the latest equipment and tools to research & develop innovative products helping restore sight to millions of people all over the world. You will participate in the research, design, development, manufacturing and testing of implantable medical devices and pharmaceutical products, working in multidisciplinary project teams from across the company as well as collaborating externally with surgeons, inventors, research groups and universities.
Core activities and accountabilities
- Work closely with R&D, Production, Process Engineering and Quality to manufacture and deliver prototype medical devices (including IOLs) and processes as part of new product and process development programs.
- Setup, calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment * Develop research protocols and new analytical test methods
- Run formal and informal Design Verification tests independently on a range of sample types
- Collect and present mechanical data for inclusion in test reports.
- Request and/or acquire equipment or supplies (e.g. test specimens and lab consumables) necessary for specific projects.
- Adhere to company best laboratory practice, including maintaining a clean and tidy lab environment
Ambition: We play to win.
Focus: We put patients first.
Integrity: We keep our promises.
Openness: We are passionate about new ideas.
Respect: We support each other.
- Health & Safety – knowledge of best practice and ongoing assessment (both personally and for colleagues)
- Time organisation – work efficiently on multiple concurrent work packages, setting achievable deadlines for required work packages and delivering on time
- Adaptability – especially to rapidly changing priorities
- Honesty – recognising and learning from mistakes; including understanding when poor results necessitate a change of direction
- Improving systems – identify and implement opportunities to optimize workplace efficiency and minimize delivery timelines whilst maintaining high quality deliverables
- Communication & presentation skills – collaborative, clear, concise and tailored to target audience (at all levels within the business)
- Confidence – work independently whilst also recognising when it is appropriate to escalate risks, issues and questions to senior management for support and guidance
- Attention to detail – carefully check plans, protocols, results and conclusions to ensure accuracy before circulating to others for review
- Critical thinking skills – ask ‘why’ and constructively challenge, not accepting status quo if unsure about the reasons behind a project or work package
- Learning - make subjective and objective observations at all times in the spirit of learning and providing essential feedback to the product development process.
- Team player - open and approachable manner, proactive approach to problem solving and prepare for meetings in advance.
- Ability to read and understand specifications, technical reports and technical drawings.
- Experience in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams).
- Experience in all aspects of manufacturing Hydrophobic IOLs.
- Qualification in Engineering or a relevant technical discipline
By submitting your details you agree to our T&Cs